Support Local Businesses “First and Foremost”Published on May 25, 2020
MPP Fullerton: "Make a conscious effort to buy local, shop in Ottawa shops, and do your business within the Ottawa business community. Support local businesses first and foremost.”
Reposted May 25, 2020
OTTAWA, May 1, 2020 -- As the Province plans this month to ease business restrictions in response to the health and safety concerns of COVID-19, Kanata-Carleton MPP Merrilee Fullerton is urging Ottawa residents to support their local businesses -- both large and small.
“I call on Ottawa residents, as they make their purchases, to think about supporting our local business community,” says MPP Fullerton. “Buy at your neighbourhood retailer and small business, and consider Ottawa’s many medium- and larger-sized businesses for your manufactured goods and contract services.”
Fullerton urges, “Make a conscious effort to buy local, shop in Ottawa shops, and do your business within the Ottawa business community. Support local businesses first and foremost.”
Through the months of November and December, each year the MPP actively promotes “Shop Local” in Kanata and West Carleton communities. Fullerton explains that she will be building on this idea with a “Buy Local” awareness campaign through 2020. “With the community’s support, our local businesses can and will rebound. I will be working with our community’s business groups and with local businesspeople to highlight the good work and the products made here in Ottawa.”
“Whether it is with the Kanata North Business Association, the Carp BIA, or the Ottawa Board of Trade, I will be supporting our business networks to promote Ottawa goods and services locally and to champion Ottawa to develop business opportunities beyond our regional borders,” says Fullerton.
Merrilee Fullerton praises current awareness initiatives that are promoting local shops and services through the shutdown period.
- Kanata North Business Association and its Shopify service and Tech Park Dollars: https://www.shoplocalkanatanorth.com/
- Kanata North Business Association’s COVID-19 Response Program and Fund that provides non-repayable grants: https://www.serioustechliveshere.com/funding
- Ottawa Citizen and its local business directory: https://local.ottawacitizen.com/
- Ottawa Business Journal: promoting local business and Ottawa’s high tech sector: https://obj.ca/index.php/
- 1310 News and its Operation Support Local: https://www.1310news.com/supportlocal/
- 580 CFRA Buy Local webpage: https://www.iheartradio.ca/580-cfra/buy-local
- The Ottawa Board of Trade and its COVID-19 Guidance and Resources for business: https://www.ottawabot.ca/covid-19/
- The City of Ottawa with its Buy Local webpage: https://ottawa.ca/en/business/economic-support-and-recovery/buy-local
The MPP’s Community Office will be coordinating “Buy Local” efforts in the coming months. Check the news section of MPP Fullerton’s website for the latest news and activities on “Buy Local” and Ottawa business interests.
For Ontario Government programs and services, businesses are encouraged to review the information on the Province’s Support for Business webpage: https://www.ontario.ca/page/covid-19-support-businesses
Media Contact for MPP Merrilee Fullerton:
Tiffany Lepack 613-599-3000
Constituency Assistant [email protected]